December 2016, I landed a one-time freelance job wherein I earned Php 10,500 ($207.70) in just four days. I am not joking (but I can’t tell any info about the job). Since I know that that kind of opportunity may not happen again, I decided to buy stuff that I can use to start a small business with small capital.
Here in the Philippines, in my opinion, polvoron and pastillas are the best sellers for all ages. Why?
First, they are affordable. Polvoron is usually priced as low as Php3 ($0.06) to Php15 ($0.30) depending on the variant, and for pastillas its Php1 ($0.02) to Php10 ($0.20) depending on how big it is.
Second, their ingredients are household staples. You can actually start your small business by using what you already have.
Third, Filipinos, regardless of their age, loves anything sweet. By anything, I mean A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G. We love sweets so much that sometimes we make a sweet version of foods that are NOT meant to be sweet.
I decided to make polvoron first. It’s my first time preparing this. The recipe that I used is from Pinoy Cooking Recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered milk (I used Bear Brand)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (toasted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
[Yield: 59pieces using medium mold ; Price: Php3.00/piece]
- Toast the flour until brown in color. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Melt the butter. Set aside.
- Combine powdered milk, sugar and toasted flour.
- Add the melted butter and mix until well combined. Make sure you break the lumps while stirring the mixture.
- Divide polvoron mixture if you want to add other flavors (2 tbsp of each like peanuts, cashew, etc.).
- Press the mould in the Polvoron mixture till you have filled up the cavity, it’s okay that it is overflowing a bit.
- ,On a plate, press the mould to make the mixture more compacted.
- Push the ejector handle to release the moulded Polvoron, if it is still sticking to the flat metal plate, gently hold the sides of the Polvoron with your thumb and forefinger and move it a little bit, it will release itself.
- Use a cellophane wrapper to wrap the molded Polvoron.